I’ve had a fantastic response from Pinners to the photo I uploaded from a trip to Moreton Island.
Ideally you would share this with a few friends and beers/wines in the late afternoon, maybe with some cheeses and dips.
2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 x tub of pre sliced mushrooms
1 x small onion finely chopped
Tin of tomatoes
1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
Glove or two of garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
A splash of wine, red, white, doesn’t matter
Chilli to taste
Leftover sausages – I had some chorizo on hand
50-100g of sundried tomatoes or olives chopped finely
- In the skillet put the olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, salt and pepper and any of the optional extras as this point.
- Loosely place some al foil over the top and cook for 10 mins.
- Grab small handfuls of mozzarella and put them in little piles on top of the tomato sauce. Put the al foil back on and cook for another 5-10 mins until the mozzarella has melted.
- Slice the damper and either dip it in or spoon the sauce on and enjoy with your beer/wine.
This can be made in a normal fry pan on a gas cook top if the fire isn’t an option.
Any leftover? Use it as a pasta sauce, filling for jaffles, on top of bakes tomatoes the next day.